Welcome

I’ve just returned from a wonderful day out exploring one of Scotland’s isolated valleys. The sun eventually shone, the path was easy and the peace settled upon us immediately. We encountered deer, mountain goats, hares, oyster catchers and numerous other members of the bird family. It really was idyllic. As we walked along several friends came to mind that I would like to introduce to this valley. I wanted to show them the things we were seeing, I wanted them to experience the peace and tranquillity that we felt. I wanted to talk through things with them, to share the excitement of the moment with them and to enjoy the time together. I love sharing experiences with other people, and this is what this blog is all about. When I discover something new in the Christian realm, a new idea or way of looking at something I want to share it with others.

The initial goal of today was to hopefully see some Golden Eagles. We failed. We didn’t see a single eagle, but we discovered so much instead. I hope you will find the same here. I don’t know what has brought you here, what you are looking for within this blog? You may well find it here, but I hope you will discover much more besides.

I’d like to invite you to journey onwards with me, to draw nearer to God and to enjoy the view along the way.


Please do get involved and post comments. I'm also happy to try and answer any appropriate questions you may have.

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Perfect Love

1 John 4:18
 
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear…

So, what is perfect love?

The only way I can understand this is in the outworking of Love in the life of Jesus. His life was perfect and so I’m guessing that his love was also. So what was this love like? Throughout the accounts of His life you can clearly see that His love was no passive thing. It was the love He had for others that spurred Him into action. He had a love that reached out to lepers, that took Him places most people would have shied away from. It was a love that didn’t wrap people up in cotton wool but which tackled big issues because they needed tackling. His love didn’t mean he agreed with everyone or bent over backwards to comfort people and make them feel secure. In fact it was a love that made people feel insecure with who they were and what they were doing. His love was love in action.
 
Perfect Love is love in action. Perfect love is love that builds up relationships and points people in the right direction, that reaches out to the poor, that shares the Good News and prays for our enemies. Perfect love is putting ourselves out for others, saying and doing things we don’t want to do but know we should. Love is a doing word not a passive word.

No comments:

Post a Comment