Welcome

I’ve just returned from a wonderful day out exploring one of Scotland’s isolated valleys. The sun eventually shone, the path was easy and the peace settled upon us immediately. We encountered deer, mountain goats, hares, oyster catchers and numerous other members of the bird family. It really was idyllic. As we walked along several friends came to mind that I would like to introduce to this valley. I wanted to show them the things we were seeing, I wanted them to experience the peace and tranquillity that we felt. I wanted to talk through things with them, to share the excitement of the moment with them and to enjoy the time together. I love sharing experiences with other people, and this is what this blog is all about. When I discover something new in the Christian realm, a new idea or way of looking at something I want to share it with others.

The initial goal of today was to hopefully see some Golden Eagles. We failed. We didn’t see a single eagle, but we discovered so much instead. I hope you will find the same here. I don’t know what has brought you here, what you are looking for within this blog? You may well find it here, but I hope you will discover much more besides.

I’d like to invite you to journey onwards with me, to draw nearer to God and to enjoy the view along the way.


Please do get involved and post comments. I'm also happy to try and answer any appropriate questions you may have.

Monday 8 February 2010

Peace

We're told in Phillipians 4: 7

“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

I had always understood that this meant that it was a peace from God that we couldn't understand. Although this still remains true (at least for me) I now understand it differently and to me it makes much more sense.

We all have questions, problems and things we can't work out. We are all on a journey to find answers. Why did God allow this? Is this right or is it this? What does God what me to do? Some of us have questions and worries that keep us awake at night and ruin our days. Sometimes when we find the answer to a question that has been on our mind we heave a huge sigh of relief and for a while we are at peace. We’ve had our question answered and we are satisfied, at least for a while, until the3 next one pops up. When it talks in Philippians about God's peace transcending (passes) all understanding it is talking about a peace that comes without the need for the question to be answered. It's saying that we don't need to find understanding, we don't need to lie awake at night with those questions going around in our head. God's peace replaces the need to ask why? True peace from God is like the peace you'd find when all your questions and worries have been answered, but without the need to have them answered. In some ways we need to cling on to God for that peace. We need to surrender to Him saying that I will seek your peace, not the answers to my questions. At the end of the day God's peace is something real and tangible and worth seeking. If we continue to look for answers we will always have something missing. Now don't get me wrong, there are things that we can find answers to and it is right for us to look for them and to ask others and to seek God for them. This, however should be a short journey. I believe that we are not meant to spend our lives seeking answers, for to some questions there are no answers to be found this side of heaven. It will just be a frustrating and fruitful pursuit. We need to trust God and seek his peace that bypasses the need to find an answer. Let all your strivings cease and accept God’s peace. Keep those thoughts, those questions, captive and may the peace of God become a reality in your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment